We've created a helpful guide, made of various questions and answers, to provide a better understanding of our services. Please click on each question to reveal the answers.
General & Estimating & Process - Questions & Answers
Q: What type of flooring estimating do you offer?
Q: Are your services available outside of the United States?
Q: Do you offer your quantities using the metric system, or just imperial system?
Q: What would you want me to send you - to estimate my project?
Q: Can you download my plans directly from a contractor link/invitation, builder's exchange, Dodge, bidmail, bid sites, etc.?
Q: Do you only take blueprints or can I send a hand drawing?
Q: Do you scan in the floorplan blueprints, if I send them in hardcopy?
Q: Because it's expensive to send plans in the mail, can you recommend an alternative?
Q: If plans are not to scale (NTS), can you scale them?
Q: Can you estimate for furniture moving or lifting areas?
Materials & Take-off Reports - Questions & Answers
Q: What file format will the reports have?
Q: Can I print the reports on my plotter or printer?
YES, you can print them on a plotter (any size) or on your printer.
There are a couple of options:
1. If you'd like to print them on your own plotter (or at a reprographics store) please let us know so we can send you the PDF files to your requested paper size:
a. Architectual 30 (size: 30"x42")
b. Size D (size: 24"x36")
c. Size C (size: 18"x24")
d. Your Own Custom size
Q: What reports do I receive?
1. PDF format material take-off (this is the most important file);
2. Colored Keycode - a layout diagram off of the floorplan, showing where each material gets installed (PDF format).
3. A Colored Summary of Floorplan - shows both keycode and material quantity amounts (PDF format).
Q: If the carpet has a pattern repeats, circles, borders, can you estimate that?
Q: There are no amounts offered for adhesives, prep and sundries, why not?
Q: What does F/C stand for, seen next to the resilient sheets?
Q: How much metal cap and cove stick do I need for F/C resilient?
Q: Why is the waste factor so much?
Example: If you have a 10 foot wide hallway, covered with a pattened 12 foot broadloom carpet, that must run the lenght of the hallway, that extra 2 feet will be wasted. That's 16.67% waste! You can not consider patching those 2 extra feet into the hallway, because of seam lines, pattern alignments and extra unnecessary work for the installer.
Therefore, the waste amount (%), in some cases, will be a bit large - but do not try to reduce it or your project may/will be impacted. Re-ordering materials in the middle of the project, will mean lost profit!
RFIs & Project Changes & Addendums - Questions & Answers
Q: What if plans and specs don't match and an RFI needs to be sent to GC/architect?
Q: Do you charge for the time spent at looking at all the details and reading the specs?
Q: What if there are some changes to the flooring layout or materials?
A change order form will be completed by us and sent over to you for change and amount confirmation. This way you always know what you'll be paying for. Upon your acceptance, we will treat it as a regular change order and add it to the final invoice.
Q: Will you be responsible for all Addendums on a project?
Q: Can you split the areas for multiple phases/installation stages?
Quotes, Invoicing & Payments - Questions & Answers
Q: Do you really provide an upfront FREE quote?
Q: Can we pay you direct using a credit card? Or pay with checks?
Q: Do you give receipts?
Other Questions & Answers
Q: What do you guarantee?
Q: What are the Terms of Agreement?
Contract Terms of Agreement
By using Commercial Flooring Estimating (C.F.E.), you agree to comply with all of the Contract Terms of Agreement set forth herein:
1. SERVICE HOURS: In the performance of the estimating services, the hours of operation of C.F.E., on any given day, are entirely within the
C.F.E.’s control; furthermore, you will rely upon C.F.E. to put in such number of hours as may be reasonably necessary to fulfill this
agreement, without additional and unforeseen consultation & change order charges & modifications, prior to servicing.
Completion time based on regular business days – Monday to Friday (excluding all holidays).
2. COMPENSATION: You will be responsible for full payment to C.F.E. for the estimated fee, as stated on the fixed square foot price chart.
The hourly charge rate, of $45 per hour, will be added on for any project related work, as necessary, for additional estimating, editing of
layout, editing of material takeoff, and/or corrections per addendums or special requests. All compensation is non refundable.
3. INVOICING & PAYMENT: C.F.E. will be requesting full payment for the entire amount, before or upon completion of project, as stated
above; Payment can be made by credit card (via Paypal merchant services) – a direct payment link will be provided by C.F.E.
4. MODIFICATIONS & ALTERATIONS: C.F.E. upon request, by written authorization, will modify, edit, alter estimates, per necessary change
order requirements, if C.F.E. was the original estimator of the project. ALL CHANGES, MODIFICATIONS AND ALTERATIONS are payable on
an hourly rate charge, at $45 per hour, to be added at the time of completion. Any change orders for changes or extra work shall be
incorporated in, and become part of this Estimate Quote.
5. EXCLUSIONS: NO amounts will be provided for adhesives, floor prep & self-levelers, tile grout, thin-sets & mortars, laths, moisture testers,
vapor barrier materials, cleaning & polishing materials. Additionally, demo of existing flooring areas are not included on takeoff amounts.
6. INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR: C.F.E. will furnish services as an independent contractor and not as an employee of your company, nor
affiliated with your company. C.F.E. as no authority to act for, represent, or bind you or any other company affiliated with you in any
7. NON DISCLOSURE: Customer agrees to keep confidential all C.F.E. materials, including but not limited to, this Agreement, discounts,
promotions, rates, charges, reports, references, invoices & estimates, and not to reproduce or release to any third party or to any of
8. WARRANTIES & LIABILITIES: C.F.E. makes no representation or warranties with respect to any information, materials, graphics found on our
website. Under no circumstances shall C.F.E. be held liable for any damages (including, but not limited to loss of use or lost profits), arising
out of or in any manner connected with the use of information or services, or the failure to provide information or services, from us.
9. IN THE EVENT OF NON-PAYMENT of the entire amount due for services rendered, C.F.E. shall be entitled to recover from Customer all
reasonable attorney's fees and cost of collection and suit incurred expenses.
10. THIS AGREEMENT constitutes the entire understanding between the parties hereto and no collateral agreement shall be binding unless in
Q: How can I get discounts? And how much?
We will take in consideration other brand names, then those listed above, however, we are most familiar with the brands listed above.
If you are interested in having us estimate for ceramic tiles, wood flooring, laminate flooring, sealed and stained concrete, epoxy flooring and more, please let us know.
We provide this service, but on a per project basis - due to specific technical references / patterns / design elements.